Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Inheritance

Def. Inheritance - The practice of passing on property, titles, debts, rights, and obligations upon the death of an individual

This quick little study on inheritance brought me an aha moment. Its been known to me: yes, I am a child of God; yes, I have been adopted into his kinship; yes, I will inherit all he has to give me; yes, he came to earth, died on the cross for my sins. But something about really focusing on His Words along the definition of the word really opened my eyes. 

Deut 4:20 The Lord brought his people out of Egypt to be the people of his own inheritance
Ps 16:6 I have a beautiful inheritance
Prov 13:22 A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children
Eccl 7:11 Wisdom is good w/ and inhertance
Ezk 44:28 "I am their inheritance" (God)
Gal 3:18 If the inheritance comes by the law, it no longer comes by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise
Eph 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance
Col 1:12 Give thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light
Col 3: 24 Knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ
Heb 9:15 Therefore, he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covantant
1 Pt 1:4 An inheritance that is imperishable undefiled and unfading, kept in Heaven for you. 


In order for me to inherit my parents' belongings, they would have to die first. They can give me what ever they want while they are alive but I cannot actually inherit anything from them until they pass.  In order for God to give me an inheritance from him, he would have to die - hence his sacrifice on the cross. Only because he was willing to come and die for me, am I able to receive an inheritance from him. Without the death on the cross, without a death at all, an inheritance wouldn't exist because it can only be given after a death. The inheritance he keeps and protects in Heaven - Himself - HE IS MY INHERITANCE - my eternity to spend with and to know him!

No comments:

Post a Comment